Lis pendens means a pending suit. The notice of lis pendens is filed on the public record for the purpose of warning all persons that the title to certain property is in litigation and that they are in danger of being bound by adverse judgement.
The document must have the following information:
- The name of the person (s) or entity that has interest in the land the lien is being filed against. (KRS 382.440)
- The name of the person or entity bringing the action (KRS 382.440 & 382.335)
- A legal description of the land involved (KRS 382.440)
- The document must state the action number and the court in which the action is pending. (KRS 382.440)
- A preparation statement (KRS 382.335) (if court prepared may not have a preparation statement.
The clerk shall request a return mail address (KRS 382.240)
The document must be signed by the person or entity asserting the lien or their attorney or agent. The signature does not need to be notarized.
Indexing information: Lis pendens are filed in the encumbrance book and indexed in the encumbrance index per KRS 382.460. They are indexed under the names of each person whose interest in the property is affected. The first party is the person the lien is filed against. The second party is the person bringing the action.
Boyd County Clerk
Boyd County Courthouse
2800 Louisa St.
Catlettsburg, Ky. 41129
Phone: (606) 739-5116
Cedar Knoll Mall
Phone: (606) 929-9595
335 16th Street
Ashland, Ky. 41101
Phone: (606) 325-3547