Notary Public Appointment (KRS 423.010)
Notary public commissions are valid for four (4) years. The following requirements must be met:
- Applicant must be eighteen (18) years old or older.
- Resident of county or county of primary employment (includes persons that live in another state, but are employed in a Kentucky county)
- Good moral character
- Capable of discharging duties imposed by law
- Cannot be a convicted felon
- Application for Appointment to the Office of Notary Public Form must be completed by applicant.
- Application must be signed by the Judge Executive, County Clerk or Circuit Clerk, Justice of the Peace, or a member of the General Assembly of the county of the residence of the applicants.
- The signed application(Link to Form)must be mailed to the Secretary of State in Frankfort, Kentucky. A $10.00 state fee must accompany the application.
- If approved, the applicant will be notified that a “Certificate of Appointment” has been sent to the county clerk’s office.
- The applicant must come to the county clerk’s office to take the oath of office within 30 days.
- A bond is required. The amount of the bond may vary from county to county based on the discretion of the County Judge Executive. (Boyd County is $500.00). The bond may be an insurance policy bond or a property owner can be the surety. The property owner must come into the county clerk’s office and sign for the applicant. Or they may provide a proven notarized statement from the person providing the security. An insurance company may provide a copy of their bond but it must be notarized and include the wording of the attached example in the notary. (A husband and wife cannot sign a surety bond for each other if the property is jointly owned. In effect the customer would be signing for himself or herself.)
- The county clerk recording fee is $19.00. $10.00 recording the bond, $4.00 taking/preparing the bond, $5.00 administering the oath. KRS 64.012
Accepted Methods of Payment:
Cash, Personal Check, Certified Check, Cashier’s Check, Money Order or Traveler’s Check.
Boyd County Clerk
Boyd County Courthouse
P.O. Box 523
2800 Louisa St.
Catlettsburg, Ky. 41129
Phone: (606) 739-5116
Fax: (606) 739-6357
Phone: (606) 929-9595
Fax: (606) 929-9696
10:30am - 6:00pm (M-F)
10:30am - 2:00pm (SAT)
335 16th Street
Ashland, Ky. 41101
Phone: (606) 325-3547
Fax: (606) 329-2812
9:00am - 4:30pm (M-F)