Titling and Registration of a New Boat
The following documents and information are required:.
- Manufacturer’s certificate of origin properly assigned to the buyer by the selling dealer.
- Application for title/registration (TC-96-184).
- Motor Vehicle/Title Lien statement, if applicable. (outboard motors require separate filings)
- Owner/Buyer personal ID.
- Social Security number for each party appearing on the title or federal ID tax number for companies.
- If the boat is purchased in another state, form 51A280 (Out of State Purchase Use-Tax Affidavit) and appropriate supporting documentation.
Boat Trailers are required to be titled.
Fees and Taxes
$ 9.00 – Kentucky Title Fee
$22.00 – Record Lien
$ 2.00 – Preparation of Motor Vehicle Title Lien
$ 3.00 – Preparation of Title Application
——– Registration fees will be calculated according to length of boat and type of motor.*
Maximum registration fee for one year $28.00.
A six percent (6%) use tax based on the purchase price may be collected on boats purchased in another state.
$25.00 – 1 ft. to 16 ft. ( 1 ft. thru 15 ft. 11 in.)
$29.00 – 16 ft. to 26 ft. (16 ft. thru 25 ft. 11 in.)
$35.00 – 26 ft. to 40 ft. (26 ft. thru 39 ft. 11 in.)
$39.00 – 40 ft. and over
$15.00 – Trolling Motors
$40.00 – All inboards and inboard/outboard motors
Acceptable Methods of Payment:
Cash, Certified Check, Cashier’s Check, Money Order. (Visa and MasterCard are not accepted for title or transfer transactions)
Boyd County Clerk
Boyd County Courthouse
2800 Louisa St.
Catlettsburg, Ky. 41129
Phone: (606) 739-5116
Cedar Knoll Mall
Phone: (606) 929-9595
335 16th Street
Ashland, Ky. 41101
Phone: (606) 325-3547