KRS 142.050 Real Estate Transfer Tax
Transfer tax is collected on the actual consideration paid or to be paid in the deed, unless it is a gift.
If the deed is a gift or indicates nominal consideration, the tax is paid on the estimated price the property would bring in an open market.
The transfer tax is imposed upon the grantor
The tax is computed at the rate of $.50 for each $500 of value or fraction thereof.
A deed cannot be recorded unless the real estate transfer tax has been collected.
The tax required to be levied by this section shall be collected only once on each transaction and in the county in which the property is conveyed, or the greater part of the property is located. KRS 382.110(1).
(1) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) “Deed” means any document, instrument, or writing other than a will and other than a lease or easement, regardless of where made, executed, or delivered, by which any real property in Kentucky, or any interest therein, is conveyed, vested, granted, bargained, sold, transferred, or assigned.
(b) “Value” means:
1. In the case of any deed not a gift, the amount of the full actual consideration therefor, paid or to be paid, including the amount of any lien or liens thereon; and
2. In the case of a gift, or any deed with nominal consideration or without stated consideration, the estimated price the property would bring in an open market and under the then prevailing market conditions in a sale between a willing seller and a willing buyer, both conversant with the property and with prevailing general price levels.
(2) A tax upon the grantor named in the deed shall be imposed at the rate of fifty cents ($0.50) for each $500 of value or fraction thereof, which value is declared in the deed upon the privilege of transferring title to real property.
(3) (a) If any deed evidencing a transfer of title subject to the tax herein imposed is offered for recordation, the county clerk shall ascertain and compute the amount of the tax due thereon and shall collect the amount as prerequisite to acceptance of the deed for recordation.
(b) The amount of tax shall be computed on the basis of the value of the transferred property as set forth in the deed.
(c) The tax required to be levied by this section shall be collected only once on each transaction and in the county in which the deed is required to be recorded by KRS 382.110(1).
(4) The county clerk shall collect the amount due and certify the date of payment and the amount of collection on the deed. The county clerk shall retain five percent (5%) as his fee for collection and remit the balance every three (3) months to the county treasurer, who shall deposit the money in the county general fund.
(5) The Revenue Cabinet may prescribe regulations necessary to carry out the purposes of this section.
(6) Any county clerk who willfully shall record any deed upon which a tax is imposed by this section without collecting the proper amount of tax and certifying the date and amount of collection on the deed as required by this section based on the declared value indicated in the affidavit appended to the deed shall, upon conviction, be fined $50 for each offense.
(7) The tax imposed by this section shall not apply to a transfer of title:
(a) Recorded prior to March 27, 1968;
(b) To, in the event of a deed of gift or deed with nominal consideration, or from the United States of America, this state, any city or county within this state, or any instrumentality, agency, or subdivision hereof;
(c) Solely in order to provide or release security for a debt or obligation;
(d) Which confirms or corrects a deed previously recorded;
(e) Between husband and wife, or between former spouses as part of a divorce proceeding;
(f) On sale for delinquent taxes or assessments;
(g) On partition;
(h) Pursuant to:
1. Merger or consolidation between and among corporations, partnerships, including registered limited liability partnerships, limited partnerships, or limited liability companies; or
2. The conversion of a general partnership, including a registered limited liability partnership, or a limited partnership into a limited liability company;
(i) Between a subsidiary corporation and its parent corporation for no consideration, nominal consideration, or in sole consideration of the cancellation or surrender of either corporation’s stock;
(j) Under a foreclosure proceeding;
(k) Between a person and a corporation, general partnership, limited partnership, registered limited liability partnership, or limited liability company in an amount equal to the portion of the value of the real property transferred that represents the proportionate interest of the transferor of the property in the entity to which the property was transferred, if the transfer was for nominal consideration;
(l) Between parent and child or grandparent and grandchild, with only nominal consideration therefor;
(m) By a corporation, general partnership, limited partnership, registered limited liability partnership, or limited liability company to a person as owner or shareholder of the entity, upon dissolution of the entity, in an amount equal to the portion of the value of the real property transferred that represents the proportionate interest of the person to whom the property was transferred, if the transfer was for nominal consideration:
(n) Between a trustee and a successor trustee; and
(o) Between a limited liability company and any of its members.
(8) The tax imposed by subsection (2) of this section shall not apply to transfers to a trustee, to be held in trust, or from a trustee to a beneficiary of the trust if:
(a) The grantor is the sole beneficiary of the trust;
(b) The grantor is a beneficiary of the trust and a direct transfer from the grantor of the trust to all other individual beneficiaries of the trust would have qualified for an exemption from the tax pursuant to one (1) of the provisions of subsection (7) of this section; or
(c) A direct transfer from the grantor of the trust to all other individual beneficiaries of the trust would have qualified for an exemption from the tax pursuant to one (1) of the provisions of subsection (7) of this section.
(9) As used in this section, “trust” shall have the same definition as contained in KRS 386.800.
Boyd County Clerk
Boyd County Courthouse
2800 Louisa St.
Catlettsburg, Ky. 41129
Phone: (606) 739-5116
Cedar Knoll Mall
Phone: (606) 929-9595
335 16th Street
Ashland, Ky. 41101
Phone: (606) 325-3547